Pernod Ricard (the owner of Absolut, Jameson, Malibu, Martell, etc) came to us in May 2013(!) with an idea to turn their database of cocktail recipes into a quickly-searchable app to be used by their 18,900 employees. The idea was put on hold for a few years but for 2019 we decided it was go-time to build this native iOS app.
They posed these challenges to the Div team:
- Build an offline-first iPhone app so that users can access content when there is no cell service.
- Build the app with React Native and CouchDB.
- Import recipes from an Excel spreadsheet.
- Scrape images and missing data from an old Pernod website.
- Within the app povide instant filtering for text, brand, product, ingredients, occasion, presentation, style.
- Allow users to bookmark and share recipes.
- Allow users to create menus from a selection of recipes, PDF the menu using multiple styles, and email the PDFs.
Pernod then used the Apple Developer Enterprise Program to distributed the proprietary in-house iOS app to their employees.